Friday, September 3, 2010

The Lanes of Bratton Fleming, Devon



Photo by Bridget Moore, Devon (c)


Living in Bratton Fleming was a joy
A quiet, safe, community
With countryside views from our home
Green rolling hills, scattered with trees
And silver streams running across narrow lanes

It's there I spent hours walking my dog
My dear spaniel, Topsy
She was full of joy
And her happiness at simple things was contagious
She'd wag her tail and her whole body in an ecstacy of excitement

In the spring time
When the wild flowers bloomed
It was a feast for the eyes
And we'd pause on our walk, down the lanes
And gaze across fields and meadows
At the bobbing daffodils
Or snowdrops
Or bluebells
Each season presenting a different kaleidoscope of colour

We'd walk the lanes, my dog and I
And I thought I'd never leave my beloved Devon

Fate had a different life in store for me, for a while
But I will return

My spaniel has passed away
And I have another dog to walk
And I can hardly wait to introduce
My Toffee dog to an English country lane
I know she'll love it

And together, we'll create our own
Special walks and places
Somewhere in Devon
I'm not sure where
But its gentle, rolling countryside
And flower filled fields
Are calling me home.

1 comment:

  1. Old Bratton Fleming postcard: http://www.francisfrith.com/bratton-fleming/ which you've probably seen. And your blog mentioned again at: http://groups.google.com/group/company-of-poets

    ReplyDelete