Sunday, May 9, 2010

An English Saturday

It's Saturday, that means one thing
For my dear mum and me
Some yummy cake, some good coffee
A pot of Earl Grey tea

'Hi Vee' says Barry, 'Hello, mum
What will it be today?
The cheesecake's good, and so's the pie
Whose turn is it to pay?'

We choose the pie and take our seats
It's here we get our rest
We munch our pie, and drink our drinks
And chat about our quest

Today we look for mum's new coat
We've searched the town already
One place is left for us to try
Our search is slow and steady

The coffee's good, it's hot and strong
I think I'll have another
'O.K. Vee, it's coming up
Now, what about your mother?'

The waitresses all know us too
Our visits here are frequent
We love the shop, the food, the tea
The service always excellent

This coffee shop is 'olde worlde'
We love it just this way
It's pleasant here to sit and chat
So here, a while, we stay

When time has come to say goodbye
We head back to the shops
We find the coat, some shoes, a hat
We're tired, fit to drop

One more job awaits us yet
A visit that we love
Our Pannier Market, full of  veg
Antiques, and books and stuff

Our Saturdays would not be done
Without our market veggie run
Bananas, carrotts, apples too
They taste just great, and good for you!

The stalls are full of local goods
All grown or made in Devon
The fruit is juicy, eggs free range
The cream is made in heaven!

Of course my favourite stall holder
Sells flowers on her stall
So there I stop and buy a bunch
Fresh flowers for the hall

I run mum home, we say goodbye
"I'll call you in the week'
An English daughter and her mum
Whose company I seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment