Monday, April 5, 2010

Penny Poppet

Photo by Penny McKay (c)

Abandoned in a lonely place
That's where we first met
I picked you up and took you home
And now you are my pet

I called you Penny, dear one
Your worth they felt was less
Those selfish people leaving you
So my life you could bless

And what a blessing you are!
Such love you give to me
You've been a blessing every day
If only 'they' could see.

Abandoned in a hot place
No water and no food
Those selfish people dumped you there
They left you there to brood

So home we came, my cat and I
To meet the family members
So scared at first, but over time
You kindled friendship's embers

Although at first, you couldn't eat
With tidbits I'd encourage you
A spoonful here, a spoonful there
Will fresh fish and some cream do?

Henry Cat fell in love with you
A friend said 'who can blame him?
That Penny Cat's a fox, you know
Her beauty has enslaved him!'

But more than beautiful outside
You love me very much
You kiss my face and sit with me
At bathing times and such

At morning's bath, you sit beside
And gaze at me and purr
You reach your little paw to me
And touch my face, my hair

So glossy now, your white bits white
Your calico coat well groomed
Your long fur quite imaculate
You glide from room to room

My Penny Poppet, darling cat
Oh how I love you so
From the tip of your sweet little rosebud nose
To the tip of your beautiful toe

Those selfish people, lost your love
They threw your love away
Their loss is my sweet, blessed, gain
I love you more each day......

No comments:

Post a Comment